Our Research Partners
Our research covers many aspects of blue whale biology and ecology, so we have initiated collaborative programs with other experienced researchers whose fields of expertise complement our own. Some of them are:
- Dr Luciana Möller, School of Biological Sciences, Flinders University of South Australia: genetic stock identification of blue whales
- West Australian Blue Whale Project, WA, Australia (Dr Rob McCauley, Dr Chandra Salgado Kent, Curt and Micheline Jenner, Chris Burton, John Bannister): photo-ID matching, migration, acoustics, feeding habitat studies, satellite tagging
- John Calambokidis and Greg Schorr, Cascadia Research, Olympia, WA, USA: foraging and feeding, and acoustic behaviour of blue whales using suction-cup digital tags –
- Dr Toby Jarvis, Myriax Software Pty Ltd, TAS, Australia: krill hydroacoustics
- Dr Nick Gales, Dr Simon Jarman, Australian Antarctic Division, and TAS, Australia: migratory and foraging movements of blue whales using satellite tags, genetic analysis of prey species from faecal samples, investigation of alternate blue whale feeding areas
- SARDI Aquatic Sciences: blue whales as indicators of oceanic productivity -
Have you just seen a whale? You can add it to our database here.
IMAGE GALLERYThe Blue Whale Study has an extensive gallery of images which are used to record each research trip and for identifying blue whales.
Become part of the Blue Whale Study community. Keep in touch with whale activity and contribute too!